Palawan and the Star of Scotland

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on June 27, 2004 at 01:16:00:

On Saturday June 14, 2004 I went with the Sea Divers on the Great Escape to dive the wrecks of the Palawan and the Star of Scotland.
The first dive was the Palawan is in 130 ft. of water off Palos Verdes. Tim anchored a few feet from the bow, and most of the pictures I took were there. There were many ronquils on the bow, a fish I normally see few of.
I decided to use my UK100 for a focus light this trip, however that turned out to be a mistake because it is so bright that it illuminated many particles and caused backscatter that might not have been there otherwise. Thus my pictures did not turn out as well as I might as hoped.
The next two dives were on the Star of Scotland, which is about 1 mile out off the end of the Santa Monica Pier in 70 feet. Interestingly my Magellan Meridian Marine GPS had the wreck in it’s built-in database, but as the Star of Hollywood. The point Captain Tim anchored on was about 50 ft from the mark built into my GPS. The Star turned out to be a very nice wreck with several areas that one could swim through or penetrate. The wreck was covered in rock scallops and huge nudibranchs.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]